I am a doctoral candidate in Operations, Information & Decisions Department of Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, with a specific focus on information strategy and economics. My dissertation committee consists of Prof. Lynn Wu (primary advisor), Prof. Lorin Hitt and Prof. Rahul Kapoor.
My research lies in economics of innovation & digitization (including but not limited to topics on artificial intelligence, big data analytics, digital platform, FinTech, healthcare IT, social media & user generated content). I study the new waves of digitization spanning a wide spectrum of industry sectors by collaborating with leading companies that extensively track technology, labor and innovation trends. Recently I'm particularly interested in the role of artificial intelligence in transforming the development of innovation in the healthcare industry, hoping to make people live well.
Prior to joining Wharton, I was a research programmer at Knowledge Lab, Computation Institute, digging into an exciting field of computational social science (with Dr. Aaron Gerow and Prof. James Evans), and a research assistant at Booth School of Business (with Prof. Amanda Sharkey) during most of my time in Chicago. I started my research journey in my junior year of college, primarily focusing on machine learning with natural language processing employed in the area of analyzing content-based online public opinion (with Prof. Gongshen Liu). I have also worked in technology and banking corporations including Intel and China Guangfa Bank.
• 2019/11: Best Student Paper (Runner-up) at Conference on Health IT and Analytics
• 2019/8: Recipient of the President Gutmann Leadership Award from GAPSA at Penn
• 2019/7: Recipient of Mack Institute Research Fellowship that supports the study on “Artificial Intelligence and Drug Innovation”
• 2019/3: Paper on Data Analytics Supports Decentralized Innovation (with Lynn Wu and Lorin Hitt) got accepted for publication at Management Science
• 2018/12: Recipient of Paul R. Kleindorfer Scholar Award, which is awarded annually to outstanding PhD students in Wharton OID.
• 2018/11: Paper on Data Analytics Skills, Innovation and Firm Productivity (with Lynn Wu and Lorin Hitt) got accepted for publication at Management Science
• 2018/10: Co-organized 2nd Wharton Innovation Doctoral Symposium
• 2017/11: Co-organized 6th Wharton INSEAD Doctoral Consortium
• 2017/10: Best Paper Nomination at Conference on Information Systems and Technology
• 2017/10: Co-organized Inaugural Wharton Innovation Doctoral Symposium
Since I fell in love with data and academia world, I have been always looking forward to academia/industry collaborations and aiming to address interesting research problems with big impact. Please feel free to get in touch with me at bowenlou at wharton dot upenn dot edu.