I am Bowen Lou, using data to solve real-world business problems.
Bowen Lou is an Assistant Professor of Operations and Information Management at the School of Business in University of Connecticut. Professor Lou’s research primarily lies in economics of digitization and innovation (including but not limited to topics on artificial intelligence, big data analytics, digital platform, FinTech, healthcare IT, social media & user generated content). He works on the new waves of digitization spanning a wide spectrum of industry sectors by collaborating with leading analytics companies that extensively track technology, labor and innovation trends. His studies leverage a variety of methodologies including econometrics, machine learning and network analysis. Recently he is particularly interested in 1). the role of artificial intelligence in transforming the development of innovation in the bio-pharma sector, and 2). investment behavior and strategy in Bitcoin exchange and mining markets.
Professor Lou’s research work has been published or forthcoming in some premier academic journal and conference such as Management Science, Management Information Systems Quarterly and International Conference on Information Systems. He is a recipient of Best Paper Award (Finalist) at CIST 2017 and Best Student Paper Award (Runner-up) at CHITA 2019, as well as a number of honors and grants. He has co-organized the inaugural and second Wharton Innovation Doctoral Symposium (WINDS), the first multi-disciplinary doctoral conference focused on innovation. He is a data scientist, technology advisor and public speaker, frequently delivering his studies and innovation strategies related to emerging technologies.
Prior to joining UConn, Professor Lou worked in technology and banking corporations including Intel and China Guangfa Bank. He was also a research programmer at Knowledge Lab of Computation Institute in Chicago, digging into an exciting field of computational social science. He received his Ph.D. in Operations, Information and Decisions (with specific focus on information strategy & economics), and his M.A. in Statistics from University of Pennsylvania. He also holds a M.S. in Computer Science from University of Chicago, and a B.Eng in Information Security from Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
• 2021/4: Paper on "AI on Drugs: Can Artificial Intelligence Accelerate Drug Development? Evidence from a Large-scale Examination of Bio-pharma Firms" got accepted in Management Information Systems Quarterly
• 2020/7: Dissertation on "Are Ideas Really Harder to Find? Essays on Analytics Driven and Artificial Intelligence Enabled Innovation" has been successfully defended.
• 2020/6: Recipient of Mack Institute Research Fellowship that supports the study on investment in cryptocurrency market
• 2019/11: Best Student Paper (Runner-up) at Conference on Health IT and Analytics
• 2019/8: Recipient of the President Gutmann Leadership Award from GAPSA at Penn
• 2019/7: Recipient of Mack Institute Research Fellowship that supports the study on artificial intelligence and drug innovation
Professor Lou has been always looking forward to academia/industry collaborations and aiming to address interesting research problems with big impacts. Please feel free to get in touch at bowen.lou at uconn dot edu.